Sunday, May 31, 2009

Working on Worship













This is the image I want to project when I
lead worship. "Unless you come to me as a little child, you will not enter my kingdom." I want to project the childlike joy we should all feel when we worship our Creator. However....



















This is the image I feel like I project when I am part of the worship team. Kind of makes you want to clap your hands and jump for joy, doesn't it? Our church is growing swiftly, and the number of people who have become part of the worship team has grown also. So, we got an e-mail this week saying all of us were going to audition again, in the interest of a consistent worship experience from week to week. That got me to thinking, "Why do I want to be a part of that?" Didn't like my answers. I have a competent voice, can pick out harmony rather easily, and really love doing it. But, if the picture above is even close to accurate, am I adding or detracting from the worship experience of the congregation? I have never been a demonstrative worshiper, but if I am to remain in front, I have to at least to be able to make it obvious to the congregation that I am worshiping. I can't lead them in something I'm not doing myself. In truth, the answer to my question was that I enjoyed the attention it brought from my new church friends. But if I do it right, I shouldn't be the object of their attention, right?





So I'm going to be doing a lot of this between now and auditions. I've done some already, and this morning during communion I turned the whole situation over to God. I'd really love to continue to be a part of the team, because I love the people who lead and with whom I sing, but it needs to be with a changed attitude. If I'm told the team needs more than I have to offer, it will be a blow to my ego, but I can say I am at peace with that possibility. Worship leaders need to be what their name suggests.








































2 comments:

  1. Everybody should get a chance to lead worship or bea a part of it - otherwise, how do your grow?

    If you only come and listen you do not search, you don't study as hard, you are passive.

    I think it is kind of strange to have only one worship team when many, many from any congregation could, and should, contribute.

    ReplyDelete