Thursday, June 4, 2009

Amazed by God--Again!!


I wonder if there will ever come a time in my life when I cease to be amazed by the hand of God in my life. I hope not. Had another instance of that last night, and I want to point out ahead of time that I am bragging on God, not me.

I had a friend invitation on facebook from a girl whose name I didn't recognize, but since girls have a tendency to change their names and I can use all the friends I can get, I confirmed the friendship. The picture didn't ring a bell. I hate it when that happens. She had asked if I was the only former Tustin teacher on facebook, and I replied that I hadn't seen any others. I then asked if she was using her maiden name on facebook, and what year she graduated, pleading a senior moment. What I really was saying, was "Help me remember you." Here is a paraphrase of her reply: "I am using my maiden name, I graduated in 1983. I never had you for a class, but was in the school's Christian club when you were the sponsor. You were always very nice to me at a time when I was very much picked on by other students." We then chatted for about an hour or so.

I hope I can convey in words the emotion I was feeling at the time. Apparently God used me as a source of comfort for her at a time in her life when she needed comforting. I had no idea. I thought of the sermon series our high school pastor Scott Martin is presenting about the early church. One of the things that came to mind is Scott reminded us that when we determine to represent God, his Holy Spirit will put the words in our mouth. I have always thought of that in an evangelistic setting, but I think this is a different type of example. The emotion comes from the realization that through this voice from a quarter century ago, God was telling me what I need to hear. See, I'm a couple of weeks from retirement. I really don't think my light shined as bright as it could have these past 36 years. Apparently I was wrong, and God knew I needed to hear that. From our conversation during the next hour she made it clear that she had many friends with the same memories of me.

It was a time of joy for me, and a time of reflection. A boost for my ego in this area in case it takes a hit in another. But it wasn't me, it was all God's timing. For reinforcement, there was another note from a 1986 student who said, "I knew you were a Christian. I became a believer in 1991."

We hear all the time about how God is being legislated out of our schools. Why does that upset us? If we know anything about church history, we know that times of oppression are when God shows His power the most. I just laugh now instead of getting upset at the people who think they can make God illegal. He uses those times to most dramatically demonstrate His power.

"Let your light so shine before men that they can see your good works and glorify your father in heaven." God reminded me yesterday of the truth of that verse, and He did it in just the way I needed.

2 comments: