Saturday, March 21, 2009

Songs I've Sung in Church #2

Haven't blogged in about a week, which means maybe I've said everything I have to say! So I thought I would talk about another of my favorite songs, which I got to sing in church a few years ago.

This song has a history with me and with that church. One of my very good friends sang it four or five times and was never able to get entirely through it without becoming emotional. Verse 3 was especially meaningful for him as he thought of how it applied to his life. The song is an adaptation of a poem, and was popularized by Wayne Watson. It was special to me that I was able to sing it, as it definitely has applications for my life also.

The Touch of the Master's Hand
Well, it was battered and scarred, and the auctioneer thought
It was hardly worth his while
To waste much time on the old violin, but he held it up with a smile.
"Well, it's sure not much, but it's all we've got left.
I guess we ought to sell it, too.
So what am I bid for this old violin, just one more and we'll be through."
And then he cried, "One, give me one dollar, who'll make it two?
Only two dollars, who'll make it three?
Three dollars twice, now that's a good price.
Who's got a bid for me? Raise up your hands, don't wait any longer,
The auction's about to end. Who'll give me four, just one dollar more,
To bid on this old violin?"
The air was hot, and the people stood around as the sun was settin' low.
From the back of the crowd a gray-haired man came forward and took up the bow.
He wiped the dust from the old violin, and he tightened up the strings.
Then he played out a melody pure and sweet, sweeter than the angels sing.
Then the music stopped.
And the auctioneer, in a voice that was quiet and low, said,
"What am I bid for the old violin?" And he held it up with the bow.
And then he cried, "One, give me one thousand, who'll make it two?
Only two thousand, who'll make it three?
Three thousand twice, now that's a good price, now who's got a bid for me?"
The people cried out, "What made the change? We don't understand."
The auctioneer stopped, and he said with a smile, "It was the touch of the master's hand."
You know, there's many a man with his life out of tune,
Battered and scarred with sin. And he's auctioned cheap to a thankless world,
Much like that old violin.
But then the Master comes, and the foolish crowd, they never understand
The worth of a soul, and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.
Then he cried, "One, give me one thousand, who'll make it two?
Only two thousand, who'll make it three? Three thousand twice, now that's a good price.
Who's got a bid for me?" The people cried out, "What made the change? We don't understand."
The auctioneer stopped, and he said with a smile, "It was the touch of the Master's hand."

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rick,
    I like your blog very much.
    Come visit mine anytime you like.
    http://cyntillatingandjoyful.blogspot.com/
    Cyn

    ReplyDelete