Saturday, March 7, 2009

Songs I've Sung in Church #1

One of the nice things about going to a smaller church is that I occasionally got to sing a song of my choosing (it was nice for me, can't speak for the rest of the congregation). I sang this song one year for Father's Day. I guess you could call the genre, "Empty Nest Country" It's by Trace Adkins. The title is "Then They Do."

In the early rush of morning, trying to get the kids to school
One's tuggin at my shirttail, another's locked up in her room.
And I'm yellin up the stairs, "Stop worrying about your hair, you'll be fine."

Now they're fightin in the back seat, I'm playing referee
Then someone's gotta go, the moment that we leave
And everybody's late--I swear I can't wait til they grow up.

(chorus)
Then they do
That's how it is
It's just quiet in the morning
Can't believe how much I miss
All they did and all they do
You pray every dream they dream of will come true
Then they do

Now the youngest (I inserted the name "Jeslyn") is off to college
She'll be leaving in the fall
And (Jolie's) latest boyfriend, called to ask if he could talk
And I get the impression, he's about the pop the question any day.
I look over at their pictures, sitting in their frames
I still think of them as babies, guess that'll never change
You pray all their lives, that someday they will find happiness

(chorus)

No more Monday PTA
No car pools or soccer games
Your work is done
Now you've got time that's all your own
You've been waiting for so long
For these days to come.

(Chorus)

On that particular Father's Day, Jennifer had a photo shoot with the girls in the morning and wasn't there for the start of the service. But she made it in time for me to sing it to her.

4 comments:

  1. That's a tear-jerker... loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds very country...but very good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "it was nice for me, can't speak for the rest of the congregation"

    Of course it was nice for the rest of us! I was going through music the other day in the office and found of few of your songs. Brought back nice memories...

    ReplyDelete