Friday, June 19, 2009

The Best Laid Plans.

So, here was my plan: Last day of finals, only one final to go, so I had to give the final, turn in my keys, turn in my grades, and on the road by 10:30. But it was not to be.

1. My desktop monitor died, so I had no way of printing out my grades during class time. My laptop is not connected to a printer.
2. Went to get my room signed off. Was asked, "Is your computer ready for the summer school teacher? Are your desks lined up for the summer school teacher instead of finals?" No, my monitor died and I had my desks stacked. Over to our tech teacher, get new used monitor, carry it to my room, exchange it for the old one, wait ten minutes for it to boot up to make sure it works. While waiting, unstacked all 41 of my desks, started putting them back in rows. Dropped a desk on my toe. The one that was already black and blue from dropping a stack of record albums (ask your parents what those are) on my foot. Put sign on computer for summer school teacher to remind them not to reboot computer unless they wanted to wait 10 minutes.
3. Went to athletic office to print out my grades from flash drive. Grades done, but our registrar walked out the door to lunch. Turned in keys, turned in emergency envelope, got room signed off. Since my choices at that point were to wait for registrar or come back Monday, I went to lunch.
4 Favorite mexican restaurant in Orange--Los Cabos at Tustin and Collins. Soup watery for a change, salsa too hot for a change. One benefit: Araceli, my waitress, comped my diet coke in honor of my retirement.
5. Back to school to turn in grades and sign out with principal. Finally done about 12:30. Since all finals were now done now, made rounds of friends for goodbyes.
6. Finally got in the car about 1:10. Then the tears came. Not sorrowful. Joyful ones at the realization that God got me to this point. 36 years of holding my hand every step of the way. When he wasn't carrying me.

No comments:

Post a Comment