Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Night at the Ballet


Decided to take in the ballet tonight, being the highly cultured person that I am. Went to a performance of "A Bug's Adventure," which you've probably not heard of unless you are as informed about ballet as I am. The ballet starred my granddaughters (see above), but there were many other dancers who filled in the time while my darlings were resting. Since only the parents, grandparents and godmother Teresa were there, I'll kind of fill you in on what you missed.
First the ants came out and danced in circles. Then Jolie, as a blueberry, came out, ran around in a circle for about 5 seconds and left the stage--a performance calculated to whet our appetite for her next appearance. Then the grasshoppers (b00) came out and fought with the ants, while being distracted by the centipede. Then my versatile Jolie came out and wowed the audience with her impersonation of a dandelion, complete with fluffy little white stuff on her head. (Sorry if this is too technical for you. When you've seen as much ballet as I have, you'll understand. And I know at least as much about ballet as the guy who sits behind me at the Angel games knows about baseball, as he tries to explain it to his girlfriend). Then two very tall green bugs (forest green, I think) come and stand on their tiptoes for about 5 minutes.
Then Jeslyn the bumblebee mesmerizes the audience with her virtuoso performance, accompanied by some lesser bumblebees and some bugs in mauve tights that I don't recognize.
Then comes the climactice scene where Jolie comes back and is entertained by another ant-grasshopper fight. Finally, she (in dance language, of course), says, "Can't we all just get along?" and the grasshoppers and ants make friends. It was very moving. The end.
In December I'll explain "The Nutcracker."

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that's where Miss Madison was....Ashley's dance teacher was out tonight and they had a sub. As professional as A Bugs Adventure sounds that is where she had to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Best ballet interpretation I've ever read. ; )
    P.S. Adorable grandbugs.

    ReplyDelete