Thursday, April 23, 2009

40 Days On Purpose

Our pastor (among others) likes to point out the significance of the number 40 in the Bible, so I thought I would post SOMETHING to highlight my countdown to retirement that has reached 40 working days. Only problem is that I can't think of anything else to connect to the number 40 at this point, so I'm going to play with some other numbers--I like to play with numbers almost as much as my friend Heidi likes to shop for office supplies.
The numbers 3, 7 and 12 are also considered to be sacred numbers in Biblical culture.
So I'll start with 12, and thinking about that made me realize something I hadn't though of before. In my 36-year teaching career, I spent 12 years as an English teacher at Tustin High, 12 years as a math teacher at Tustin High, and 12 years as a math teacher at Foothill. That's 3 sets of 12, a Biblical daily double!! I also spent 12 years coaching boys basketball at THS and 12 years coaching girls basketball at the same school. My 12 years at Foothill have included girls basketball, as either the coach or athletic director. I didn't plan it that way, and haven't thought about it until now, but it makes me think Someone had a more than passing interest in my career.
Now about 7. Counting both schools I was part of 7 league championships in baseball, 7 league championships as a basketball coach (boys and girls), and 7 basketball championships as an athletic director. As a head or assistant coach, I had the privilege of coaching in the CIF finals in 7 different sports--Boys and girls track, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball and baseball. Seven is the Biblical number of perfection, and I can't help but think that God led me down a career path that was perfect for my personality.
Three? The most obvious is 3 trips to the CIF finals in basketball as a coach (and 3 losses in the CIF finals as a coach). There are others probably, but the number 40 is coming up--I"ve spent 40 minutes talking about myself!!
So, with 40 days left to retirement--each one passing more slowly at this point--I can say with conviction that I have fought the good fight, kept the faith, and almost finished the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment