Sunday, February 15, 2009

Where I am Right Now


I tend to ramble--I should probably rename my blog "Rambling Man"--and I like to talk about myself--see the first comment on blog #1. The nice thing about a blog as opposed to listening to me in person is that you can close down the blog without hurting my feelings, something that's a little harder to do in person. See, I'm rambling already!

I am a soon-to-be-retired high school teacher. 82 working days left, to be exact. I have been counting down for about 5 years. One of my college classmates who is now president of a seminary, asked a couple of years ago, "then, what's your next adventure?" Didn't have one then, but have been praying for a new passion. Had a VERY small tax business because it was fun, and hoped to build it. God had bigger ideas.

About 6 months ago through a series of "coincidences" I got connected with a guy who is retiring from doing taxes after 66 years. His practice is roughly 15 times what mine is now, and he is turning it all over to me. (Tithing lesson: the projected income from this is roughly 10 times what we've been giving to our church building project). So there was money potential, but no passion.

Then I started going around with him and meeting his clients. I've met about 10 so far, and all but one are senior citizens. At least 3 of those are suffering from varying degrees of dementia. His practice once numbered over 600 clients and now he's down to around 250, and none of the 350 he lost is currently worrying about income tax, if you get my drift. I saw fear in their eyes as I was introduced as his successor, because he is their friend and they don't want him to leave them. He told me he has been wanting to retire for at least 3 years, but didn't want to turn the business over to just anyone and leave his clients hanging. So far, 100% of the clients he has talked to have said they will continue with me.

So, suddenly, I have my passion. I don't want to be their tax man. I want to be their friend who does their taxes. As far as I am concerned, this business is my Malachi 3:10 reward, and the "windows of heaven" that have been opened have nothing to do with money. May God find me faithful to the charge He has given me.

1 comment:

  1. I think these people are in excellent hands. Your friend can rest easy knowing that you are taking care of everything.

    I'm excited for you Rick!

    ReplyDelete