Friday, February 27, 2009

Hymns I Love

Many churches are still fighting the “hymns vs choruses” battle, and I have in the last couple of years joined one that has handled it in a prudent manner. I have a choice of attending a service where the music is the traditional hymns, or one where the music is contemporary with an occasional hymn that is usually more up tempo than the original. I have chosen the latter for a variety of reasons. . (I do find it ironic that those who are adamantly opposed to the “new” music have conveniently forgotten that many of our most beloved hymns started out as sacred words applied to popular saloon songs). But I find that in times of stress, I return to my roots, and my roots are in hymns

For example, the economic news today is not getting any better. I have Christian friends, whom I love dearly even though we have opposite political views, who seem happy that the market continues to reel under the new administration. They are evidently buying gold as a hedge against what they believe is a certain nationwide economic collapse. I don’t know enough about economics to know if they are right. I don’t know enough about economics to know which administration to blame. I don’t know if the meltdown will touch my seemingly impregnable State Teacher’s Retirement System. “I don’t know what the future holds…but I know Who holds the future.” That’s the hymn part. There’s probably a contemporary song that has the same message, but at age 60 I go with the familiar, and the familiar is established in hymns. We had another recently during our pastor’s “Spent” series. He is almost my age, and the hymn played for communion moved him so that he had to comment on it at its conclusion. “I sing because I’m happy. I sing because I’m free. For His eye is on the sparrow. And I know He watches me.”

We have a dear friend who just lost a dear friend to illness. She is grieving, and we are hurting for her. I’ve have lost very few people in life that are close to me, but I suspect that will change as I get older. When I am grieving for any reason, I usually wind up thinking of the lyrics of the song written over 100 years ago by Horatio Spafford. His wife and daughters were on an ocean voyage and the ship capsized. His daughters drowned. He took the next ship to England, and when the ship passed the spot where his daughters perished, he stood at the rail and wrote, “When sorrow like sea billows roll. Whatever my lot, thou has taught me to say, ‘It is well, it is well, with my soul.’”

I am a sinner saved by grace. I sometimes blow it. Through the books of people like Philip Yancey I have begun to understand just what the first sentence in this paragraph means. When I fail, and humble myself before my God, what happens? “He walks with me and He talks with me. And He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known.” If you are young and reading this, you probably have a newer song that does the same for you. But this one is so very special to me.

Our worship team occasionally begins the service with the hymn that begins, “I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene….” Ironically, they sing it much more slowly than the “original” version. And it’s beautiful. I think I sing alto when I sing along with them, because my mom was an alto and I remember standing next to her and singing it with her in church. How marvelous and how wonderful those memories.

It would be fun at some point to make a list of hymns that I love, and the contemporary song that conveys the same message. For example, the lines above from “In the Garden,” are very similar to “He Knows My Name.” “How Great Thou Art” is so similar to “How Great is Our God,” that arrangements put them together. I think I’ll make the list a retirement project.

2 comments:

  1. I love hymns as well and I do wish they sang more at the church. When my dads quartet sang at the classic service a few weeks ago, I was able to revisit with old hymns I haven't heard in a long time. I grew up old school due to my parents and our church. They were both in the choir so my brother and I grew up around that kind of music. There is just something about hymns.....more powerful in their words I think. Nowadays the music just seems watered down in their words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your comments on our traditional hymns with great interest. Being a hymn historian who writes a weekly newspaper column on the subject, plus a daily blog, Wordwise Hymns, I've had occasion to study the subject fairly closely over the last 40 years.

    First, let me take issue with your statement that "many of our most beloved hymns started out as sacred words applied to popular saloon songs." This myth has been around for so long it has been accepted as gospel. It's simply not true. Many hymns have original tunes, written especially for them. For the rest, most borrow hymn tunes previously written for other hymns.

    One time I went through a hymnnal, song by song (four or five hundred of them). I did find one or two that made use of old folk ballads. Whether they were sung in saloons, I don't know. But they certainly were the exception.

    What brought me to your site today was your reference to the hymn, "My Saviour's Love" ("I stand amazed in the presence...") Today is the anniversary of the birth of Charles Gabriel, in 1856 (who wrote both words and music for the song).

    Your statement, "Ironically, they sing it much more slowly than the 'original' version" caught my eye. I think what you probably mean is that they sing it slower than renditions you have heard in the past. The "original" was just notes on a page. But, as you'll see if you check out my blog for today, I do think many congregations sing this hymn too quickly. I'm glad you appreciate a more meditative pace for this one, given its subject.

    Just a thought or two to chew on. God bless.

    ReplyDelete