Wednesday, April 28, 2010

They Can't Take That Away


We had one of those times tonight when both girls had an event and there was no way we could attend both. Jolie was singing in a district 4th grade performance at her school, and Jeslyn had her first night as a member of the competition gymnastics program at SCATS. Originally I was going to take Jeslyn to gymnastics and Jan , Jen and Jeff were going to watch Jolie sing, but Jan decided to switch because the performance was outside and it was very windy. Jolie told me it was each 4th grade doing their own songs, and I wasn't exactly looking forward to that. She was wrong, as it was about 300 4th graders from all over the Fountain Valley school district who had all learned the same songs. Jolie's school was the host and so they were the last in, and she was right up in front by the microphone where I had a perfect view of her. They started with a rendition of the original "We Are the World" and it touched me deeply, given the lines of the chorus and the multi-ethnic nature of the group. In fact, that song was originally going to be the focus of my comments, that is, until near the end of the program.
They sang "America the Beautiful" and some folk songs, and then there was an announcement that there would be two more songs.

I didn't recognize the next song from the introduction, and took a deep breath when they started, "if tomorrow all the things were gone.....", and just at that moment Jennifer touched me on the shoulder, because she knew how much the song meant to me. My thoughts raced back to the days of September 11, 2001, and the awful events of that day. The following Sunday I was part of a duet that got up in church and sang, "God Bless the USA" and it was one of the most memorable moments of my life. Watching my 10-year old granddaughter sing the song with her classmates was every bit as memorable, if not more, for so many reasons. Just the fact it was public school kids singing "God Bless the USA" was meaningful enough. Also, it was probably my imagination, but it seemed to me that, while Jolie knew all the words and sang fervently on all the songs, she really poured her heart into this one. I don't know if she had been told how much the song meant to Grampa, but it seemed as if she had. I was thankful that I am still close enough to my daughter that she knew and cared how much the song would touch me. I told her that if she made a CD of the event, I would like a copy. And I know if she does, I will get one (putting friends and family on notice, you may be subjected into a viewing of said video).
A couple of months ago, I gave up political comments for lent, and my blood pressure was so grateful that I have continued that practice. But I have no reservations in saying,
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I'll gladly stand up next to you, and defend her still today.
Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land...God Bless the USA.

1 comment:

  1. That is probably my favorite song....I cry 99% of the time I hear it. The first time I heard it was on the 4th of July in 1995 during Basic Training....we had a little celebration and concert...and hearing that song is the one thing I remember. I can't imagine hearing children singing it...I would probably need a whole box of Kleenex. So glad you were able to be there.

    ReplyDelete