Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Well, tomorrow I'm turning Sweet 61 (selective dyslexia on my part). Currently I'm sitting in the kitchen of Jeff and Jen's new house, babysitting for them with Jan so they can shop and not have whiny kids dragged along with them. Jan is in the TV room honing up on her Beatles Rock Band skills, while I've been watching delivery room updates on FB from my friends Heather and Darren as they await the birth of their first child. We had breakfast this morning with 5 of our dearest friends, and the birthday wishes have been pouring in on facebook from new and old friends. Can life get any better? I've decided that it can indeed. For example:

Alicia, Joe, Amber, Angel, Brent, Billy, Laurel, Austin, Tamila, Aaron, Travis, Bob, Diane, Bonnie, Brandon, Sarah, Chelsea, Cody, Evie, Cindy, Scott, Connie, Bruce, Curtis, Kristi, Haley, Lexi, Dan, Martha, Dave, Dave, Dave, Heather, Don, Lyn, Elizabeth, Dave, Heidi, Kurt, Hope, Jack, Irene, Robert, Jessica, Jennifer, Joel, John, John, Jolene, Jon, Jordan, Kasey, Kevin, Kirk, Lilian, Mandy, Josh, Steven, Jagger, Michele, Dave, April, Paula, Sammy, Phyllis, Robbie, Scott, Tamra. These are the names of my facebook friends that I didn't know 2 years ago, just from my church. That doesnt' count the number of students I have reconnected with, who are part of my life again. I used to have a poster in my room with a quote from Bob Dylan: "He who isn't busy being born, is busy dying." I understand that so much more now than I did when I hung it up.

This spring I will be meeting close to 200 new tax clients, bequeathed to me by my retiring friend Don. We have a chance to go on a mission trip to Chile this summer, and have already booked a 40th anniversary Alaska cruise for August.

All our lives, we have friends who we say, "Can't wait to see them again." At this point in my life, I really have nothing stopping me from doing just that.

My sister once told me that I have trouble meeting new people, and for much of my life that was true. I don't know how, but that has changed so much that I actually think I would enjoy being (gasp!!) a GREETER at church.

So, while my life is better than it has ever been, I am struck by the thought that it is far better than I ever dreamed it COULD BE. So, logically, it is possible that it could get even better. I can't wait to see how God can make that happen. Especially with me asking all the time, "Why me?"

2 comments:

  1. Well, get ready for one more connection. I'll give you some clues. I think I was in your wedding. We went to Paz Naz at the same time. I am from Kern County. I am a girl... well, I was and, just like you, still feel 30. I had a huge crush on Tom Michaelson. Keep thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley Mills? Sorry, I didn't check sooner. Hopefully you check back. Where are you and how are you?

    ReplyDelete