Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Moving Tunes (Pun Intended)

By now you've probably figured that music and athletics are a big part of my life. If I had any wishes for anything in my life to have been improved, it would have been more talent in baseball and music. Of course, I got an extra dose of ego, so God was smart enough to leave me with something less than professional talent in those two areas. But there always seems to be a song or two that speaks to my current situation and mood, and yesterday seemed to be one of those days. My "job" for the day was to be available to help Jen and Jeff with their move, and it promised to be stressful in that they had to be out of their old house yesterday and wouldn't be able to get their stuff moved into the new house until Friday. Plus, they had spent until the wee hours Monday getting ready for the movers.

The day started with my reading a post put up by my friend Don, who is music minister at our church. He mentioned that he had just heard "We've Only Just Begun" by the Carpenters, and it was popular when he and Lyn were dating. I told him that Jan and I had wanted that song to be sung at our wedding, but it was too contemporary for Jan's mom and we settled for "Whither Thou Goest." Ironically, Don said that was a selection at their wedding also. That led to a long discussion of wedding songs, some quite humorous, others quite touching. It also reminded me of the song sung just before I walked Jen down the aisle, which I've mentioned in a previous blog. Briefly, it was the Wedding Song, with a touch of "Where are you Going" thrown in at the last minute.

So I was already pensive as I headed over to the Russells, and a song came on my XM gospel station. No picture here, but the refrain lifted me up--"Even in the Valleys, God is good." This was followed by one of my favorite hymns, "How Long Has it Been." Again, not necessarily apt for the day's events, but served to remind me--I seem to need to keep being reminded--of how much Jesus wants an intimate relationship with his children.

I took a load over to the house of stuff they didn't want the movers to deal with, and when I returned Jeff was standing in the driveway looking so tired and forlorn that I went over and put my arm around his shoulders and muttered something brilliant like, "it's all going to be OK." Didn't move him, but made me cry!!

Took another load, the radio cue said that Styx was playing, switched to that, and didn't really fit the mood. However, the next song...

was New Year's Day by U2. This was especially pertinent, since Jeff had entrusted me with his most prized earthly possession, his guitar autographed by all members of the band that Jen had put in a case with all of their CD covers. So far, it's still in great condition.

I had to make a trip to Home Depot for him to buy a switch plate to replace the one in Jeslyn's room, got one that was too large, made another trip for a smaller one. Spent a total of 87 cents on the two trips. Coming out, feeling blue again, and Michael W Smith's version of


Bridge over Troubled Water was on, and it's always been one of my favorites, again liftin my spirits.

Jeff asked me if I knew the number for Empire Carpets, and I missed it by one, despite singing the jingle. Turns out they were able to come to the new house tonight and new carpets will be installed tomorrow. I pointed out that this would not have been possible if they had been fully moved in by today. Another example of God making our lemons into lemonade.

They got everything out, got the keys to the new house today and Jen and Jeff are sleeping on the floor there today while the girls are spending the night with us.

I found myself thinking of the refrain from "We've Only Just Begun.":

Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching the signs along the way
Talking it over just the two of us
Working together day to day....together

When we first heard those words, they were full of the hope and dreams of starting a new life together. Now, almost 40 years later, they are a description of the rich life that I continue to share with my wife, the life my children share with their mates, and the priceless moments I sometimes share with my grandgirls. And we've only just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment